LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #21
Forum Moderator

2009 LPGA Television Coverage
includes all official money events
source: LPGA.com

SBS Open: GC live
Honda Thailand: No TV
HSBC Champions: GC tape (last 3 days only)
MasterCard Classic: No TV
J Golf Phoenix LPGA International: GC 3 days live, last day tape
Kraft Nabisco: ESPN2 live (first 3 days), CBS live (last day)
Corona Championship: No TV
Michelob Ultra Open: ESPN2 live (last 3 days only)
Sybase Classic: ESPN2 live (last 3 days only)
Corning Classic: GC tape
State Farm: ESPN2 live day 1, NBC and ESPN2 live day 2, NBC live day 3
McDonald's: GC live
Wegmans: ESPN2 live (last 3 days only)
Jamie Farr: ESPN2 live (last 3 days only)
US Open: ESPN live days 1 and 2, NBC live days 2 and 3
Evian: GC tape
British Open: TNT live days 1 and 2, ABC tape days 3 and 4
Safeway Classic: ESPN2 live days 1 and 2, ESPN live day 3
Canadian Open: GC tape (days 3 and 4 only). Also on CBC live all four days.
P&G Arkansas: GC live
Samsung: GC tape days 1 and 2. NBC live days 3 and 4
CVS Pharmacy: GC live
Navistar: GC tape
Hana Bank: No TV
Mizuno Classic: No TV
Lorena Ochoa Invitational: GC live
Tour Championship: GC live

I believe I have everything right. Please let me know if there are any errors.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #22
Contest Statistician

Let me ask this question. Who else is going to show the LPGA? Let me add this to the equation. Who is going to pay to show it?

Nice that ESPN had live coverage (and good coverage) in the past. Easy to do when you pick and chose when you want to do an event because you have a hole in your schedule and someone pays you to do it. There was no commitment for a full schedule. Most of the cost was underwritten by State Farm anyway. It should be them that you are thanking not ESPN.

The LPGA needs a full commitment partner and someone to grow with and GC fits the bill.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #23
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xman5 View Post
Let me ask this question. Who else is going to show the LPGA? Let me add this to the equation. Who is going to pay to show it?

Nice that ESPN had live coverage (and good coverage) in the past. Easy to do when you pick and chose when you want to do an event because you have a hole in your schedule and someone pays you to do it. There was no commitment for a full schedule. Most of the cost was underwritten by State Farm anyway. It should be them that you are thanking not ESPN.

The LPGA needs a full commitment partner and someone to grow with and GC fits the bill.
I don't think anyone is thanking ESPN. We're just saying we wish there was more live coverage (me) and more coverage on a channel that didn't require a cable upgrade (notax).

I also don't think GC is a partner that the LPGA can grow old with. I son'r think people care to watch tape-delayed coverage of sports. It does not serve the long term interest of the LPGA. The ratings prove this. By far, the best ratings for LPGA events are for events that are covered live. Tape-delayed coverage is a losing proposition if the LPGA wants to attract fans.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #24

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
ESPN never did tape-delayed of domestic events and even aired a lot of international events live. Here is the schedule of LPGA TV coverage in 2008 and 2010, for comparison. This should be sufficient for you.

SBS Open: GC Live
Fields Open: GC Live
HSBC Singapore: GC Tape
MasterCard Mexico: ESPN 2 days Live, 1 day Tape
Safeway International: GC Live
Kraft: ESPN 3 days Live, CBS 1 day Live
Corona Championship: No TV
Ginn Open: GC 2 days Tape, 2 days Live CBS
Stanford International: ESPN Live
SemGroup Championship: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Michelob Ultra: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Sybase Classic: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Corning Classic: GC Tape
Ginn Tribute: GC 2 days Tape, NBC 2 days Live
McDonald's: GC Live
Wegmans: ESPN Live (3 days only)
US Open: ESPN 2 days Live, NBC 2 days Tape
P&G Arkansas: CBS Live (2 out of 3 days only)
Jamie Farr: ESPN Live (3 days only)
State Farm: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Evian: GC Tape
British Open: TNT 2 days Live, ABC 2 days Tape
Canadian Open: GC Tape (last 2 days only)
Safeway Classic: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Bell Micro: GC Live
Navistar: GC Tape
Samsung: GC 2 days Live, NBC 2 days Live
Longs Drugs: GC Live
Grand China Air: No TV
Hana Bank KOLON: No TV
Lorena Ochoa Invitational: GC Live
ADT: GC 3 days Live, NBC 1 day Live

Honda Thailand: GC Tape (3 days only)
HSBC Singapore: GC Tape
Kia Classic: GC Live
Kraft: ESPN 3 days Live, CBS 1 day Live
Tres Marias (formerly Coron Championship): No TV
Bell Micro: GC Live
State Farm: GC Tape
ShopRite: GC Live
LPGA Championship: GC Live
Jamie Farr: No TV
US Open: ESPN 2 days Live, NBC 2 days Live
Evian: GC Tape
British Open: ESPN Live
Safeway Classic: GC Live
Canadian Open: GC 2 days Tape, GC 2 days Live
P&G Arkansas: GC Live
Navistar: GC Tape
CVS Pharmacy: GC Live
Sime Darby Malaysia: GC Tape
Hana Bank: GC Tape
Lorena Ochoa Invitational: GC 3 days Live, GC 1 day Tape
LPGA Tour Championship: GC 2 days Live, GC 2 days Tape

I think most people prefer the mix of ESPN and GC that we had prior to the 2009 than the exclusive coverage of GC. Who doesn't want to see sports covered live? If it conflicts with your work schedule, get a DVR or a VCR.

Looking at the upcoming schedule for 2010, I'm disappointed to see that we're not getting live coverage of the last two days of the LPGA Championship or of the last day of the Lorena Ochoa Invitational.
Sorry about the confusion. My original post was correct but when you brought up ESPN Desportes, I thought I hadn't mentioned TV coverage at all and I was wondering why. I didn't check the list to see that I had. I just didn't put in "Desportes."

Where did I ever say this?

When it says (3 days only) in parentheses that means that only part of the event was covered on TV, by whatever network covered it. I'm sorry that was not clear to you.

The ONLY reason I posted the list of tournaments was to address your claim that "And how do you know that ESPN was generally live? I happen to remember more often than not the coverage being tape-delayed." I was showing you how I know (besides remembering) that ESPN never showed domestic events on tape delay. You said it happened "more often than not." It didn't happen at all in 2008 and I will post the 2009 schedule that you have been asking for so we can see if it happened "more often than not" or at all then as well.

You're welcome.
In regards to your response of when did you ever say that ESPN aired a lot of international tournaments, and aired them live, you said that in your first response to me. The fact is you said it, which is false. ESPN proper NEVER aired LPGA conducted events, ever.

Another thing, you said that ESPN never showed anything on tape delay in 2008. Last time i checked, ESPN Deportes is part of the ESPN family, and they DID show the Mastercard event on tape delay, rendering your statement false.

Last edited by golfnut; 10-11-2010 at 07:47 PM.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #25
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
In regards to your response of when did you ever say that ESPN aired a lot of international tournaments, and aired them live, you said that in your first response to me. The fact is you said it, which is false. ESPN proper NEVER aired LPGA conducted events, ever.

Another thing, you said that ESPN never showed anything on tape delay in 2008. Last time i checked, ESPN Deportes is part of the ESPN family, and they DID show the Mastercard event on tape delay, rendering your statement false.
I was wrong about ESPN airing a lot international events. They only aired one, on ESPN Desportes.

Speaking of being wrong. Let me remind you that this entire argument began because you insisted this:

Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I happen to remember more often than not the coverage being tape-delayed.
I have proved that ESPN never did tape delay of domestic events. Mexico is not a domestic event.

If you want to nitpick about ESPN and ESPN2, I am not playing that game. You obviously don't want to have an adult conversation. You just want to argue.

Instead of just picking silly fights, like about ESPN2 and ESPN being different networks and ESPN Desportes broadcasting from Mexico being a domestic event, why don't you just admit your memory was wrong and we can move on? I've admitted where I was wrong. Surely you are big enough to do the same.

Last edited by Blue; 10-12-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #26

I was wrong about ESPN airing a lot international events. They only aired one, on ESPN Desportes.

Speaking of being wrong. Let me remind you that this entire argument began because you insisted this:

I have proved that ESPN never did tape delay of domestic events. Mexico is not a domestic event.

If you want to nitpick about ESPN and ESPN2, I am not playing that game. You obviously don't want to have an adult conversation. You just want to argue.

Instead of just picking silly fights, like about ESPN2 and ESPN being different networks and ESPN Desportes broadcasting from Mexico being a domestic event, why don't you just admit your memory was wrong and we can move on? I've admitted where I was wrong. Surely you are big enough to do the same.
That's the first time i've heard you admit you were wrong on something. I'm suprised. Normally you justify your mistakes and never admit you made them. Another thing, you posted only two year's of schedules, ESPN televised the tour for 15+. You are going to have to do better than that to prove ESPN never did tape delay. Third, i NEVER said that the mastercard was a domestic event, all i said was that a portion of it was tape delayed while on one of ESPN's networks, which you claim they never did. This has nothing to do about being big enough for anything. I'm not here for the sake of arguing, but as i've, and i'm sure other posters have told you before, i won't stand by while you post info that is inaccurate, then try to justify it when confronted about it. I love discussion, and debate, but only on factual, accurate information, which quite a few times several of us have had to call you out on. You say i should be bigger and say that i was wrong, when i never claimed to be right in the first place. All i said was that i remember coverage on ESPN being tape delayed at times. I never claimed that i had a definitive answer. If you want to engage in this childish notion that we are having an undue arguement and that you have taken the higher road, guess again. Until you actually post something that is completely accurate and truthful, typos, and other errors of the like being excluded, you need to be a bigger person. Instead of getting defensive when someone points out a mistake or inaccuracy as you do every time it seems, maybe you need to say, wait a minute, i'm human and i can be wrong more than 1% of the time to. Until then, don't come to me with your childish antics of how you (finally) admitted you were wrong on something and how i should to, even though i never claimed to know something like you did.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote