Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA > Mike Whan

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
NTB
Senior Member
 
NTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: hot springs village arkansas
Posts: 2,534
In order for me to get the golf channel I have to buy 3 tiers packages.
This is over a 100.00 monthly. ESPN is in the basic. I can get the golf
channel on my computer for a small amount of time and then it goes crazy.
It is a matter of money to me.
__________________
God Bless America
\"Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.\" - William Penn
NTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mandeville, Louisiana
Posts: 605
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
If you can find domestic events that ESPN ran on tape delay, please show them and I will stand corrected.

As for what I listed, it's the entire LPGA schedule for these years, except for non-official events, like the MOJO 6. This includes the US Open and the British Open. I don't see how this "misconfigures stats." Fans want to see golf on TV, as much golf as possible and as much of it live as possible. They don't care that the LPGA runs one event and the USGA runs another.

I chose 2008 and 2010 to show the contrast between the last full season when ESPN was in play and this season. I accidentally wrote 2009 in one spot because I did this very quickly. I've fixed that. I'm sorry that the typo threw you for a loop.

My source for all of this is LPGA.com. Actually, the 2008 Ginn Open was two days tape on GC and two days live on CBS. I just forgot to put CBS in on my original post. It's there now. Maybe you're thinking of the Ginn Tribute which was on NBC.

You are right that ESPN Desportes carried the MasterCard Classic, live on two days, tape-delayed on one day. It has limited coverage in the United States and, obviously, it's in Spanish. I don't consider this broadcast to the US when it's in limited markets and in Spanish.

Also, there is no need to "call me out" if we disagree. We're not in middle school. We can converse like civil adults.
Disagree? I'm only calling you out when you post information thats false, not on whether our opinions differ. Disagree with me six ways to sunday, but don't post inaccurate info, which, as many posters here can attest, you have done on numerous occasions to support your viewpoint.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mandeville, Louisiana
Posts: 605
Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
In order for me to get the golf channel I have to buy 3 tiers packages.
This is over a 100.00 monthly. ESPN is in the basic. I can get the golf
channel on my computer for a small amount of time and then it goes crazy.
It is a matter of money to me.
That's a trade-off of the new contract. I to, had to upgrade to a higher package to get GC but it's easily better than the coverage was on ESPN.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 599
I have Time Warner and the Golf Channel is part of the digital package which I assume is what most people subscribe to. Am I wrong? What cable system has the GC as a premium channel? I'm not doubting this information, just curious as to if it"s Charter or whomever that is designating it as a premium channel. Thanks!
Whistling Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mandeville, Louisiana
Posts: 605
Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
I have Time Warner and the Golf Channel is part of the digital package which I assume is what most people subscribe to. Am I wrong? What cable system has the GC as a premium channel? I'm not doubting this information, just curious as to if it"s Charter or whomever that is designating it as a premium channel. Thanks!
For me it is charter. To get GC i had to go from baisc to expanded basic, which was an extra twenty bucks a month, but well worth it.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #16
NTB
Senior Member
 
NTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: hot springs village arkansas
Posts: 2,534
Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
I have Time Warner and the Golf Channel is part of the digital package which I assume is what most people subscribe to. Am I wrong? What cable system has the GC as a premium channel? I'm not doubting this information, just curious as to if it"s Charter or whomever that is designating it as a premium channel. Thanks!
I live in hot springs village ark. We have Suddenlink.
I do get the golf channel free on-line and watched Hull win yesterday.
It will pixel on me some. Can't complain it is free.
I can't get satellite to many trees it also cost extra in this area to get Golf Channel.
I dumped my cable and watch all programs on the web. So far nothing I can't get.
This is a golfing community so a few years back they figured people with the
money would pay more and they were right.
__________________
God Bless America
\"Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.\" - William Penn
NTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mandeville, Louisiana
Posts: 605
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
ESPN never did tape-delayed of domestic events and even aired a lot of international events live. Here is the schedule of LPGA TV coverage in 2008 and 2010, for comparison. This should be sufficient for you.

2008
SBS Open: GC Live
Fields Open: GC Live
HSBC Singapore: GC Tape
MasterCard Mexico: ESPN 2 days Live, 1 day Tape
Safeway International: GC Live
Kraft: ESPN 3 days Live, CBS 1 day Live
Corona Championship: No TV
Ginn Open: GC 2 days Tape, 2 days Live CBS
Stanford International: ESPN Live
SemGroup Championship: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Michelob Ultra: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Sybase Classic: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Corning Classic: GC Tape
Ginn Tribute: GC 2 days Tape, NBC 2 days Live
McDonald's: GC Live
Wegmans: ESPN Live (3 days only)
US Open: ESPN 2 days Live, NBC 2 days Tape
P&G Arkansas: CBS Live (2 out of 3 days only)
Jamie Farr: ESPN Live (3 days only)
State Farm: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Evian: GC Tape
British Open: TNT 2 days Live, ABC 2 days Tape
Canadian Open: GC Tape (last 2 days only)
Safeway Classic: ESPN Live (3 days only)
Bell Micro: GC Live
Navistar: GC Tape
Samsung: GC 2 days Live, NBC 2 days Live
Longs Drugs: GC Live
Grand China Air: No TV
Hana Bank KOLON: No TV
Mizuno Classic: No TV
Lorena Ochoa Invitational: GC Live
ADT: GC 3 days Live, NBC 1 day Live

2010
Honda Thailand: GC Tape (3 days only)
HSBC Singapore: GC Tape
Kia Classic: GC Live
Kraft: ESPN 3 days Live, CBS 1 day Live
Tres Marias (formerly Coron Championship): No TV
Bell Micro: GC Live
State Farm: GC Tape
ShopRite: GC Live
LPGA Championship: GC Live
Jamie Farr: No TV
US Open: ESPN 2 days Live, NBC 2 days Live
Evian: GC Tape
British Open: ESPN Live
Safeway Classic: GC Live
Canadian Open: GC 2 days Tape, GC 2 days Live
P&G Arkansas: GC Live
Navistar: GC Tape
CVS Pharmacy: GC Live
Sime Darby Malaysia: GC Tape
Hana Bank: GC Tape
Mizuno Classic: No TV
Lorena Ochoa Invitational: GC 3 days Live, GC 1 day Tape
LPGA Tour Championship: GC 2 days Live, GC 2 days Tape

I think most people prefer the mix of ESPN and GC that we had prior to the 2009 than the exclusive coverage of GC. Who doesn't want to see sports covered live? If it conflicts with your work schedule, get a DVR or a VCR.

Looking at the upcoming schedule for 2010, I'm disappointed to see that we're not getting live coverage of the last two days of the LPGA Championship or of the last day of the Lorena Ochoa Invitational.
After re-reading your original post Blue, i have to ask you, are you a walking contradiction? Let me explain to you why i ask that.

First, the way you posted your info is misleading. Case in point the Mastercard Classic in 2008. You claim that ESPN carried the event in 2008, false. ESPN Deportes carried it, having it on tape delay in fact. Then when i pointed that out to you, you contradicted yourself by saying that you wouldn't include that as part of your arguement because of the above info. Yet here it is, still listed as part of your areguement, and still incorrectly listed as being on ESPN. Another thing, why pick 2008? Why not use 2009 since it was the last year that ESPN televised any LPGA events?

Third, you stated that ESPN televised, in your words, a lot of international events, and live. False. From the info you provided, the ONLY event that was shown on ESPN internationally, was the Mastercard event. Last time i checked that wasn't a lot and from your own info, a third of that event was on tape delay, which you claim that hardly ever happens!

In addition, you didn't even bother to address the fact that ESPN NEVER did cover the first round of any event with the exception of the Nabisco, U.S. Open and a couple of times the Sybase Classic when Sybase agreed to pony up extra money. ESPN NEVER televised more than 10 events conducted by the LPGA per year while GC covered more, normally with bigger broadcast windows and replays doubling, in some cases tripiling the amount of coverage ESPN devoted to the LPGA. On ESPN events had to pay for a time buy AND production costs, with no rights fees. On GC there is no time buys, production costs are about the same, and the tour DOES recieve a rights fee. What do you have to say about that?

One last thing, you were correct concerning the Ginn Open, i got the two Ginn events crossed when i was typing. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #18
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
First, the way you posted your info is misleading. Case in point the Mastercard Classic in 2008. You claim that ESPN carried the event in 2008, false. ESPN Deportes carried it, having it on tape delay in fact. Then when i pointed that out to you, you contradicted yourself by saying that you wouldn't include that as part of your arguement because of the above info. Yet here it is, still listed as part of your areguement, and still incorrectly listed as being on ESPN. Another thing, why pick 2008? Why not use 2009 since it was the last year that ESPN televised any LPGA events?
Sorry about the confusion. My original post was correct but when you brought up ESPN Desportes, I thought I hadn't mentioned TV coverage at all and I was wondering why. I didn't check the list to see that I had. I just didn't put in "Desportes."

Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Third, you stated that ESPN televised, in your words, a lot of international events, and live. False.
Where did I ever say this?


Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
In addition, you didn't even bother to address the fact that ESPN NEVER did cover the first round of any event with the exception of the Nabisco, U.S. Open and a couple of times the Sybase Classic when Sybase agreed to pony up extra money.
When it says (3 days only) in parentheses that means that only part of the event was covered on TV, by whatever network covered it. I'm sorry that was not clear to you.

The ONLY reason I posted the list of tournaments was to address your claim that "And how do you know that ESPN was generally live? I happen to remember more often than not the coverage being tape-delayed." I was showing you how I know (besides remembering) that ESPN never showed domestic events on tape delay. You said it happened "more often than not." It didn't happen at all in 2008 and I will post the 2009 schedule that you have been asking for so we can see if it happened "more often than not" or at all then as well.

Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
One last thing, you were correct concerning the Ginn Open, i got the two Ginn events crossed when i was typing. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
You're welcome.

Last edited by Blue; 10-11-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by notaxbill View Post
I live in hot springs village ark. We have Suddenlink.
I do get the golf channel free on-line and watched Hull win yesterday.
It will pixel on me some. Can't complain it is free.
I can't get satellite to many trees it also cost extra in this area to get Golf Channel.
I dumped my cable and watch all programs on the web. So far nothing I can't get.
This is a golfing community so a few years back they figured people with the
money would pay more and they were right.
Speaking on Hull's win on the Golf Channel. Great coverage, wasn't it? Was it three hours or four after the fact? I didn't watch it... I already knew who won by following it on line.

There is absolutely no reason for an event that takes place in the continental US to be broadcast tape-delayed except that the Golf Channel had a commitment to show the McGladrey Classic (?) first. The LPGA may be getting a rights free from the Golf Channel to let them air tapes of tournaments, but it may be doing more harm than good for the LPGA.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #20
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by Whistling Straight View Post
I have Time Warner and the Golf Channel is part of the digital package which I assume is what most people subscribe to. Am I wrong? What cable system has the GC as a premium channel? I'm not doubting this information, just curious as to if it"s Charter or whomever that is designating it as a premium channel. Thanks!
I live in a small town with Comcast and Golf Channel is included in my digital HD package. A friend of mine lives in a larger nearby community with Verizon FiOS and had to upgrade to a higher tier to get Golf Channel.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!