Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA > Mike Whan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #21

Sorry, but I think she still has something to prove. Congratulations on her win this week, but remember she was playing on an exemption. How many times this season has she failed to make it through Monday qualifying? Have her results throughout the season been worthy of allowing her to be a member of the LPGA when she doesn't meet the age criteria?

CG, I don't think it's about her needing a chaperone, so much as her physical and mental maturity/ability in being able to deal with the grind of the regular tour. Pressell was a year older, though not quite 18, and clearly she found occasional play a very different thing to regular play.

The deal was she would seek membership via Q school, not if she won enough money or won a tourament. As Blue said, Whan is correct in saying that is the path she needs to travel right now.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #22
Administrator

Hi does anyone object to smiley Mike Whan? being called an idiot? seems like I should change the thread title?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #23

Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Hi does anyone object to smiley Mike Whan? being called an idiot? seems like I should change the thread title?

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #24
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dangerbob View Post
Finally, someone wasn't impressed with Lexi's win! I, too, will wait and give her a few more tournaments to prove that she's the real McCoy.
I have to agree, sort of. She won one tournament in commanding fashion, but she also missed the cut in four out of eight tournaments she played in this year, including both majors. Even in the tournaments she made the cut in, she had only one other top-10

The fact that she's only 16 is significant but again with all the exemptions she's gotten, she's had more chances to play in tournaments at age 14, 15, and 16 than anyone in LPGA history except Michelle Wie.

She won one tournament and whether she's 16 or 26, it's still only one tournament and all her other results this year have been unimpressive. Like Michelle Wie, she just could be a player who is peaking early. We will have to wait and see before crowning her the Queen of Golf.

Last edited by Blue; 09-19-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #25
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Hell, Lexi didn't just win a tournament, she whipped the Solheim Cup teams....BOTH OF THEM.

Viva Annika
It's possible the Solheim players were focusing more on next week than on this week. It's possible some even purposely missed the cut (Kerr) to rest up for Ireland. It's happened before on the LPGA and PGA tours.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #26

Checkout Charlie Rymer's "letter" to Whan on behalf of Lexi at GC site.
benchjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #27
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by benchjockey View Post
Checkout Charlie Rymer's "letter" to Whan on behalf of Lexi at GC site.
Dear Mr. Whan ... Lexi's should-be plea to LPGA commissioner | Golf Channel

Nice but not necessary. Mike is sitting by the fax machine waiting for the letter, pen in hand, ready to sign.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #28
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by canadianglen View Post
I'm sorry, but if you have seen Cristie Kerr practice and go through her drills up close, there is no way you could say she sandbagged the Navistar. That woman will be in a foul mood missing her first cut in, what, over a year? I don't believe it is part of her constitution to take a week off.
I have seen her and I am suggesting that it's possible that she missed the cut on purpose. She missed a lot of short putts. That's completely uncharacteristic and the best way to throw a tournament. (Her last missed cut was at Kraft this year.)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #29

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
We will have to wait and see before crowning her the Queen of Golf.

Now she is good no question about it but I think it's dicey at best to think she can remove the crown from Miss Yani's head. That being said she does have a very good chance of removing the American tiara from Cristie's, Paula's or Stacy Lewis's head some day.
ajraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #30
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
That's an interesting viewpoint ;and there could well be some truth in it.

Does having events won by kids that young make the tour more attractive to potential sponsors and viewers,or does it make it look a bit bush-league ?...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I'll use one of BKB's Tennis analogies.

Boris Becker won Wimbledon @ 17. Did that make mens Tennis Bush. No He is a HOF'er.

Have young Female Tennis phenoms hurt Tennis. Never. Sharapova won Wimbledon @ 17. One of todays top draws.

Lexi is basically doing what everyone wanted (and or predicted) Wie to do.

So it is a good thing. A young, American, fan friendly, hopefully superstar in the making. Yeah a good thing for American golf.

Why do you guys constantly apply rules and some sort of strange standards on the LPGA that you do not apply anywhere else.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote