Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA > Mike Whan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Smiley & Lexi

I know most of you don't care about this but I do not appreciate the way Smiley talks about Lexi. For example, this comment is one that is, in tone, uncalled for. He says no offense and then offends her. The man has something against Lexi, and I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's because she had the gall to win a LPGA tour event rather than follow his path through q-school.
-------------------------------------
"This is no offense to her, but we don't need Lexi to be the one any time soon," Whan says. "If she does become the one, great, we'll fan that flame. But when I see reporters say that, finally, Lexi is the great young American the LPGA needs, I find that hard to stomach. Do we just discount Paula Creamer, Michelle Wie, Morgan Pressel, Cristie Kerr, Stacy Lewis, Angela Stanford and Brittany Lincicome? And there are so many others.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/...son/51225644/1
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #2

I think Mike Whan should be complemented for taking a stand that hopefully would protect Lexi from the same undue pressures the "reporters" placed on M. Wie when she was force fed to the public by her parents.
I like Lexi, and I think that she might become a better than average player if she is just allowed to play tournament golf before being crowned as the new queen.
It is apparent that Mike Whan recognizes what the "Dragon Lady" didn't.
Mike Whan was right....it was no offense to Lexi.....for Whan to have said nothing would have been an offense to all the other ladies on tour. He did what a good commissioner should do....protect those he is charged with protecting and promoting......the LPGA tour playerS.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I think Mike Whan should be complemented for taking a stand that hopefully would protect Lexi from the same undue pressures the "reporters" placed on M. Wie when she was force fed to the public by her parents.
I like Lexi, and I think that she might become a better than average player if she is just allowed to play tournament golf before being crowned as the new queen.
It is apparent that Mike Whan recognizes what the "Dragon Lady" didn't.
Mike Whan was right....it was no offense to Lexi.....for Whan to have said nothing would have been an offense to all the other ladies on tour. He did what a good commissioner should do....protect those he is charged with protecting and promoting......the LPGA tour playerS.

Viva Annika
Buzzer,

I highlighted the words I objected to Smiley using in the context of his comments.

In addition, come on, Wiesy loved the attention and furthermore she felt no pressure when she played on the LPGA tour in her younger days.

Last edited by gxer; 11-16-2011 at 01:33 PM.
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #4

Gxer on Lexi Thompson and Boola(aka UpDev) on Michelle Wie...I think these two fanatic fans should be tied to an anchor and dropped in the middle of the Indian Ocean where those sharks are waiting for them!

Indian Ocean Shark Family
To drown the outcry of the HEART!"

Let's eat Grandpa.
Let's eat, Grandpa.

Commas save lives!
dangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #5

Buzzer,

Here's a good one for you.

Kraig Kann is promoting the LPGA tour's re-designed media center, featuring Lexi as the first one interviewed. I wonder if Smiley is cringing at that revolting development?

Lockerz.com : Kraig Kann's Photo
Old 11-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #6

Not really....because the interview was okayed by Whan in the first place.
Don't forget, Kann works for Whan.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Not really....because the interview was okayed by Whan in the first place.
Don't forget, Kann works for Whan.

Viva Annika
You don't know if Smiley said OK to the interview any more than I do.

My guess is that Smiley was off kissing up to a sponsor rather than being involved in who was being interviewed and yes, I don't know that either, just guessing, but it's more in line with what he does on a day to day basis.

Obviously, we do have to worry about Smiley's stomach when it comes to Lexi and therefore we will have to be very careful in the future as Lexi knocks off Paula Creamer, Michelle Wie, Morgan Pressel, Cristie Kerr, Stacy Lewis, Angela Stanford and Brittany Lincicome plus the so many others that Smiley mentions.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #8

And to think you were one of the biggest critics of Wie's fans for over-hyping her. She hasn't, as yet, knocked anybody off and, quite frankly, until she does, you sound more like Boola than UpDev does. When do you start predicting cakewalk victories?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #9

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
And to think you were one of the biggest critics of Wie's fans for over-hyping her. She hasn't, as yet, knocked anybody off and, quite frankly, until she does, you sound more like Boola than UpDev does. When do you start predicting cakewalk victories?
Currently Lexi is the 9th ranked USA player and is being hurt by the minimum divisor of 35, so when her number of events get closer to the minimum, 35, you will see her climb much higher in the Rolex rankings than she is now.

For 2012, I have picked Lexi as ROY and predicted that sometime in 2013 she will overtake Yani as number 1.

Now MP, I have a gift for you, Buzzer and Blue.

If Lexi doesn't win ROY in 2012, I will leave mylpga for good.
If Lexi doesn't replace Yani as the number 1 player on the Rolex rankings by the end of 2013, I will leave mylpga for good.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #10

Why would that be a gift? I don't want any poster to leave because of their loyalty to a player.