Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA > Mike Whan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I think Mike Whan should be complemented for taking a stand that hopefully would protect Lexi from the same undue pressures the "reporters" placed on M.
No, he needs to PR the heck out of the LPGA. Not talk trash. He needs to be more diplomatic, regardless of his personal opinion. Let him have a conversation in private with them, not in public.
xman5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #12

Originally Posted by MarinePaul View Post
Why would that be a gift? I don't want any poster to leave because of their loyalty to a player.
It's a gift to you, Blue and Buzzer so you don't have to argue with me about anything, plus the fact that it would be proven beyond doubt that I was dead wrong about Lexi's golfing abilities and therefore, deserved to be gone from mylpga, branded as an over-hyping ignoramus.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #13

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
It's a gift to you, Blue and Buzzer so you don't have to argue with me about anything, plus the fact that it would be proven beyond doubt that I was dead wrong about Lexi's golfing abilities and therefore, deserved to be gone from mylpga, branded as an over-hyping ignoramus.
I wouldn't consider it a gift.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #14

I don't see how that's offensive to Lexi and I don't see it as him being against her. Btw his name is Mike Whan, not Smiley. You can't talk about him being offensive and then do the same thing yourself.

I read it as him hoping Lexi Thompson will not be treated the same way as Michelle Wie was. If you recall Wie was the greatest thing since sliced bread, except she proved not to be at that time. He probably wants Thompson to have a longer career and less tumultuous time of it. He did say if she is the next 'one' than he'd go with it.
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #15

Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
I don't see how that's offensive to Lexi and I don't see it as him being against her. Btw his name is Mike Whan, not Smiley. You can't talk about him being offensive and then do the same thing yourself.

I read it as him hoping Lexi Thompson will not be treated the same way as Michelle Wie was. If you recall Wie was the greatest thing since sliced bread, except she proved not to be at that time. He probably wants Thompson to have a longer career and less tumultuous time of it. He did say if she is the next 'one' than he'd go with it.
His nickname comes from where he used to work, it is not anymore offensive than calling Michelle Wie, Wiesy.

Wiesy was treated fine by the media, in fact, both the media, the USGA, the LPGA tour and many golf fans, kissed her butt from day 1.

Lexi is different than Wiesy, she won't allow herself to be put in competition with men on the PGA TOUR so don't expect the media to go overboard as much with Lexi as they did with Wiesy.

Smiley would not only "go with it" he would claim to have known all along that she was the next number one female American golfer.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #16

Hi ya folks....I am with Marinepaul....I also do NOT want to lose Gxer from mylpga discussion board stuff...so I guess I will have to cheer Lexi to Win the ROY this year and then to replace Yani as #1 in the next year....this would be ok for me, providing that Wiesy is at least Number TWO...hmmm

so...Go Lexi Go...and also...Go Wiesy go!!

have a good day folks...see ya!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #17

Originally Posted by wiefan View Post
Hi ya folks....I am with Marinepaul....I also do NOT want to lose Gxer from mylpga discussion board stuff...so I guess I will have to cheer Lexi to Win the ROY this year and then to replace Yani as #1 in the next year....this would be ok for me, providing that Wiesy is at least Number TWO...hmmm

so...Go Lexi Go...and also...Go Wiesy go!!

have a good day folks...see ya!!
You don't have to cheer for Lexi, remember our contest? You better cheer for Wiesy, there are only two head to head matches remaining this season and Lexi has only a slight lead in money, the matches won or lost are even.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #18

Thumbs up

Hey, Gxer.....the last thing I'd want is to see you leave....Honest.
Like you, I, too, would like to see Lexi bloom. ROY is just fine with me; as is POY and #1 on tour.
I've been waiting a long time to change "Viva Annika" to something else....maybe even to "Viva Lexi". And if Yani wins this weekend then I will make the change, although a win might not be necessary; good play just might do it.
My only problem with you is that I think you are being unfair to Mike Whan. Here's a guy that took over a badly floundering tour because he, and many others, believe he can salvage the dregs the Dragon Lady left him.
I have had the pleasure of being in his company several times over the past year or so. No, I am not an "insider", but the man I was with (a very close friend since our college days) is, and twice he invited me to lunch with him and a group that included Whan.
Since meeting him, and listening to his vision of the future for the tour, I have every confidence that he is the right man to lead.

Now then...leaving this board if Lexi doesn't make #1 is no gift to MP and myself....staying active with all of us is a much better gift.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #19

You don't have to cheer for Lexi, remember our contest? You better cheer for Wiesy, there are only two head to head matches remaining this season and Lexi has only a slight lead in money, the matches won or lost are even.
Hi ya Gxer...YOU ARE ON...the Gauntlet has been thrown down...the line in the sand has been drawn...you have SLAPPED me in the face with your Glove ( by the way folks, I am like Filipino PAC-MAN...I did NOT flinch and or cry )...ok...back to the challenge....I will take my Trusty Knife to your GUN fight...I will bring my DUCK to your Gamecock Fighting Chicken match...I will trust that the "Almost Blind due to nearsightedness" Wiesy will be UP to the Challenge...in fact, I think that inbetween shots (While Wiesy is Studying her homework for Stanford) Wiesy will try her SUPER Best....it is a KNOWN fact that Wiesy has "Carpatunnel WRISTS" from typing out her Stanford assignments...thus she is using the Belly Putter with her "Claw grip"...but the kid is a fighter...she is NOT a Quitter...watch out Folks and Gxer, Wiesy is going to have an EXCELLENT Tournament...I can feel it in my WEE Wie Bones.

this Lexi/Wiesy matchup is similiar to playing Texas Holdem....Lexi has Pocket ACES....Wiesy has a 7 and a 2 ( off suit ),,,,but after the Flop, turn and River....Lexi has a pair of Aces to Wiesy's TWO PAIR ( sevens and dueces)...the duece came on the river...way to go Wiesy!!!

anyway...have a good day folks...see ya...go Wiesy go!!!
wiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #20

If Lexi doesn't win ROY in 2012, I will leave mylpga for good.
If Lexi doesn't replace Yani as the number 1 player on the Rolex rankings by the end of 2013, I will leave mylpga for good.
So,you'll be leaving in 2013,then ?

Seriously,there's no need to be talking about leaving if a prediction doesn't pan out.

Nobody bats a thousand...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X