Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA > Mike Whan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #1

Question Smiley and Lexi

Smiley Whan is supposed to tell the golfing world today what "his" decision is regarding Lexi's request for more sponsors exemptions.

What do you think his decision will be?

I think he says the new limit on sponsors exemptions will be 8 plus Monday qualifying will be open in 5 or 6 events to non member professionals.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Contest Statistician

No change.

A better plan would have been to go to Q school and make top 5. Then petition for age exemption. That way the LPGA can save face and grant the exemption because she palyed her way in. They can demonstrate that she has played around the world, done well (US Open Evian etc) and is mature enough, and the family has experience in the golf world (ie older brother).

If the LPGA turned her down it would generate a lot of bad publicity. I doubt they would want that.

And if she did not qualify then that proves the point that she is not ready and the all could save face. She still has plenty of money from last year, can enter 6 exemptions, play us open evian, bo and anywhere else in the world and grow better with another year to go to Q school.

I say there is no reason to change, unless the do not care about rules and are willing to cater to an individual that may get some press.

Last edited by xman5; 01-14-2011 at 09:55 AM.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #3

xman,

There has to be some sort of change in the works, otherwise Smiley would have told us that he put the Lexi request in the round file.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #4

I think capitulation is in the offing...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

Breaking news

From Beth Ann Baldry's Twitter....
Whan denies Alexis Thompson's petition for 12 sponsor exemptions. But he opens up Monday qualifiers to non-members.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Smiley Whan did the right thing on both counts, denying Lexi the additional exemptions plus opening up Monday qualifying to non member professionals.
Jeez, I might have to start calling him Mike instead of Smiley.
----------------------------------------------------
The LPGA denied Lexi Thompson’s petition, but she shouldn’t complain. Commissioner Mike Whan’s solution could result in even more starts for the 15-year-old prodigy. And they won’t be handouts.

Beginning in 2011, the LPGA will open its Monday qualifiers to non-members. Thompson still will get her six exemptions – not the 12 she asked for – plus the ability to Monday qualify for seven domestic events along with the U.S. Women’s Open and Ricoh Women’s British Open.

“While the vehicle that they used to get there was different, we’re satisfied with the outcome,” said Bobby Kreusler, Thompson’s agent at Blue Giraffe Sports. “We actually have more opportunities than what we asked for.”

Regardless of what spurred the LPGA to this rule change, it’s a good move by Whan. Fields at Monday qualifiers aren’t exactly overflowing because it’s a big risk/expense for many pros struggling to make a paycheck and it’s limited to members. This change gives the LPGA a chance to earn more revenue and strengthen their fields with fresh talent (i.e. good storylines).

“Lexi has remarkable skills for a 15-year-old, and if she continues to grow and develop, I believe that she should have a great future both on and off the golf course,” LPGA Commissioner Mike Whan said in a statement Friday.

Not everyone who is deserving of sponsor exemptions gets a nod. Thompson will take many of the spots this year, leaving fewer for someone like Victoria Tanco, a two-time AJGA Player of the Year who has had a difficult time getting starts. Tanco, an Argentinean, isn’t particularly optimistic that she will get many exemptions in 2011. This rule change now gives the 16-year-old a chance to make her own way.

Thompson, who will turn 16 on Feb. 10, earned $336,472 last year, equivalent to 34th on the LPGA money list. She finished 10th at the U.S. Women’s Open and second at the Evian Masters.

Thompson will play in both the Australian Open (Feb. 3-6) and ANZ Masters (Feb. 10-13) to start her season, both sanctioned by the LET.

Thompson petition for LPGA membership denied
Old 01-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #7

I was wrong,there was no capitulation,not even a messy compromise.

Well done,Mr Commish...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
I was wrong,there was no capitulation,not even a messy compromise.

Well done,Mr Commish...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Oh but there was my friend. Opening up Monday qualifying is a HUGE change for the closed shop mentality of LPGA tour members.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #9

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Oh but there was my friend. Opening up Monday qualifying is a HUGE change for the closed shop mentality of LPGA tour members.
Yes,but.

That's a compromise which could indirectly help Alexis Thompson,but it's not specific to Alexis Thompson.

Nothing has been handed to her on a plate,which goes some way to preserving the integrity of the tour.

Of course,if she does manage to get into an additional two or three events,and makes enough money to qualify for a card,we are going to be in a similar situation twelve months from now...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Yes,but.

That's a compromise which could indirectly help Alexis Thompson,but it's not specific to Alexis Thompson.

Nothing has been handed to her on a plate,which goes some way to preserving the integrity of the tour.

Of course,if she does manage to get into an additional two or three events,and makes enough money to qualify for a card,we are going to be in a similar situation twelve months from now...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
While it's not specific to Lexi in wording, you and I both know that Monday qualifying was opened up this year because of Lexi and her desire to play more events and that's good, I like the change.