Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA > Mike Whan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #11

When does a tournament have to declare the sponsor's exemptions?
heddwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #12

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
While it's not specific to Lexi in wording, you and I both know that Monday qualifying was opened up this year because of Lexi and her desire to play more events and that's good, I like the change.
Are you suggesting that without the Thompson petition,the thought of opening up Monday qualifying would never have crossed Whan's mind ?

I've no real opinion one way or the other about allowing non-members to Monday qualify.It's not a hot button issue for me.

Although,if I was a struggling pro on the LPGA,I might be a bit pissed at the decision...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Saint-Just X View Post
Are you suggesting that without the Thompson petition,the thought of opening up Monday qualifying would never have crossed Whan's mind ?

I've no real opinion one way or the other about allowing non-members to Monday qualify.It's not a hot button issue for me.

Although,if I was a struggling pro on the LPGA,I might be a bit pissed at the decision...

Pax Vobiscum
Saint-Just X
I wouldn't say never but this year it is because of Lexi, no question about it.
Struggling pros don't bring fans through the gate so who cares if they get upset, I sure don't.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #14

Thumbs down

He almost convinced me he should be called Mike instead of Smiley but not after these comments. What's he trying to prove with this BS!
---------------------------------------------------------
“I was looking at that way before I knew who Lexi Thompson was,” Whan said. “In her case, it’s irrelevant. Regardless how she does in 2011, if she would come back and petition at the end of 2011, she would still be an underage non-member. It really wouldn’t matter to me, nor to our regulations, what money she earned. It’s irrelevant before she’s 18.”

Will the LPGA revamp non-member money calcuation? - LPGA Tour - Golf News & Articles | Golf Channel
Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #15

Gxer....I think, with that statement, Whan put closure to future underage phenoms appealing for membership. He delivered two messages with one statement.....the other is, "You can now call him Mike."

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Gxer....I think, with that statement, Whan put closure to future underage phenoms appealing for membership. He delivered two messages with one statement.....the other is, "You can now call him Mike."

Viva Annika
Nope, IMO, it's bluster and buffoonery trying to act tough on the age issue. He'll crumble when Lexi earns her way on tour this year, you wait and see.

He is still Smiley.

Lexi's agent said this.
Of course, with three years remaining until she reaches the LPGA's minimum age requirement, don't expect this story to go away for good. There's a strong chance that one year from now she will petition the tour once again and, as Kreusler explained, "If she plays the way she's capable of playing, we're pretty certain there will be a different outcome."

http://espn.go.com/golf/blog/_/name/...lexis-thompson

Last edited by gxer; 01-15-2011 at 12:56 PM.
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #17

Originally Posted by canadianglen View Post
Seriously, gxer, what gives? First you were all over Whan because he did not reject the petition out of hand. Then it was ridiculous to you that he was taking so long to reject it. So now that he HAS rejected it and made a good compromise to benefit Lexi, non-member pros and tournament owners, you state that it is all a smokescreen? What do you expect Lexi's agent to say, who by the way is selling his ferocious negotiating skills with every statement he makes defending his neglected client. Whan will tolerate this grandstanding because it is press and it is the real bluster you speak of. Next thing you'll say that Bivens would have allowed her membership already.
This is what I was talking about.
--------------------------------
“I was looking at that way before I knew who Lexi Thompson was,” Whan said. “In her case, it’s irrelevant. Regardless how she does in 2011, if she would come back and petition at the end of 2011, she would still be an underage non-member. It really wouldn’t matter to me, nor to our regulations, what money she earned. It’s irrelevant before she’s 18.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #18

Originally Posted by canadianglen View Post
Sorry, gxer, I just don't see the duplicity you do. From my viewpoint, what you are saying is that Lexi's agent is tipping his hand about what he sees as inevitable capitulation by the tour, while Whan lies to the world about his true intent? I know you do not believe that the Commissioner must answer to the membership on all matters, but I do. That is the letter and the spirit of the paper that runs this tour. Obviously, the members at large are not interested in granting a card to anyone younger than 17 1/2 at season's start after going through Q-school as specified in said paper.

I thought I was out there with my Red Bull carrot theory, but you are a true conspiracy theorist, sir. No problem, I travel there too.
The LPGA tour may not want a 16 year old member but in my opinion they are going to have one by the end of 2011 in spite of what Smiley Whan has said.