Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > General LPGA Message Boards > LPGA > Mike Whan

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Golf Course
Posts: 3,390
Originally Posted by heddwyn View Post
Lexi is 18 in 2011 not 2013. There were two tournaments in February 2010, so assuming a similar schedule in 2011, she isn't going to miss out on much.
heddwyn.... I believe you meant JESSICA KORDA, not Lexi.

Thompson won't be 18 until 2013....Korda, in Feb 2011.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Golf Course
Posts: 3,390
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Yeah, Lexis Thompson turns 18 in 2013. She hasn't applied for membership. She's applied for 6 extra exemptions as a non-member. She didn't even go to Q-School. She just wants free entry into 12 events (13 with the US Open, possibly 14 if she can qualify for the British Open).

It's Jessica Korda who turns 18 in February 2011. She just finish in 2nd place at Q-School. and applied for membership and been accepted but with the caveat that money is unofficial until she turns 18. Jessica also finished T3 at Futures Tour Q-School but she probably won't need that now.
Thompson has a snowball's chance in hell of getting 12 exemptions, especially now that Korda has gone through the proper route to playing on Tour with good results. Lexi hasn't been exactly lighting up the scoreboard lately either.

I wonder what's holding up the decision by the LPGA on this petition. Maybe they were waiting for Q School to end.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
Thompson has a snowball's chance in hell of getting 12 exemptions, especially now that Korda has gone through the proper route to playing on Tour with good results. Lexi hasn't been exactly lighting up the scoreboard lately either.

I wonder what's holding up the decision by the LPGA on this petition. Maybe they were waiting for Q School to end.
Mike Whan would be a complete idiot to give in to Thompson's petition. No one of any age should get free entry into 12 tournaments a year. If she's that good, she should have gone to Q-School, proved herself there and then petitioned for early entry as a member.

Lexi's father is whining that the Tour doesn't want his daughter who's great phenom the LPGA so desperately needs. Well no. The LPGA doesn't want to give away entry into tournaments to people who haven't earned it. It's not as if Lexi really capitalized on her six exemptions in 2010. And also, who says the LPGA needs another phenom? Every year there are new phenoms on the LPGA from all over the world: Creamer, Tseng, Pressel, Wie, IK Kim, Nordqvist, Choi, Miyazato, Shin ...

Is the LPGA really going to be revolutionized or actually even significantly impacted by one more over-hyped teenager?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Golf Course
Posts: 3,390
Yeah.... I agree that Whan probably isn't gonna give in to this request...and shouldn't. The LPGA players are apparently against it, so you know he's not going to make waves there.

Look....I think Alexis is a great young player. I watched her last January in a major Am event and I was impressed with not only her game, but her mature demeanor for (at that time) a 14 yr old. I think she'll have a great career on Tour eventually.

But, as you said....every year it seems a new "phenom" comes through and, while most of them have been very impressive, so far they have not been the be all and end all for the LPGA.

I'm disappointed in Thompson's father and her manager whining and going over the top with this. It can only bring about the BJ Wie type of negativity....that wasn't good for Michelle, as we know...and it won't be good for Lexi. Dad....STFU!
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Mike Whan would be a complete idiot to give in to Thompson's petition. No one of any age should get free entry into 12 tournaments a year. If she's that good, she should have gone to Q-School, proved herself there and then petitioned for early entry as a member.

Lexi's father is whining that the Tour doesn't want his daughter who's great phenom the LPGA so desperately needs. Well no. The LPGA doesn't want to give away entry into tournaments to people who haven't earned it. It's not as if Lexi really capitalized on her six exemptions in 2010. And also, who says the LPGA needs another phenom? Every year there are new phenoms on the LPGA from all over the world: Creamer, Tseng, Pressel, Wie, IK Kim, Nordqvist, Choi, Miyazato, Shin ...

Is the LPGA really going to be revolutionized or actually even significantly impacted by one more over-hyped teenager?
I think that Smiley will deny Lexi the additional exemptions and nice try is about all you can say about her arrogant agent.

I am disappointed in her father, that knucklehead said that they were not going to ask for membership unless Lexi won an event, he didn't say that they were going to attempt an end around the current rules if Lexi didn't win.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Another week has come and gone since the last post and still no word from Smiley regarding Lexi.

Is this guy qualified to be LPGA tour commissioner? What's the holdup?
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Blue,

You love to dig into stats so I got a question for you.

If money won rules were retroactively changed for non members in 2010, who else along with Lexi would have earned a LPGA tour card?
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #18
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
Blue,

You love to dig into stats so I got a question for you.

If money won rules were retroactively changed for non members in 2010, who else along with Lexi would have earned a LPGA tour card?
Good question. What's the money list equivalent necessary to get a Tour Card? Is it 80th place or 90th?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,137
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Good question. What's the money list equivalent necessary to get a Tour Card? Is it 80th place or 90th?
80th.
__________________
My "dream" girl: LPGA seasonal tour stats <=66 & >=270
gxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
sag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 738
Originally Posted by gxer View Post
If money won rules were retroactively changed for non members in 2010, who else along with Lexi would have earned a LPGA tour card?
I'll put forth the names Sakura Yokomine and Chie Arimura as the ones who'd have enough earnings after the rules were changed to your satisfaction.
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!