Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > LPGA Players > LPGA Rookies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Lexi and Greg

I know it's really too early to decide but indications are not good for this team.
Lexi's driving distance is way short of what is expected, especially since other players are where they normally would be distance wise.

So, the question is, is Greg to blame for the loss of distance (not letting Lexi hit her driver very often) or is Lexi's swing screwed up. We know she tends to be erratic at times, so maybe this is one of those times.

Next week she has to be playing better than this, if not, I say the Greg experiment should end and Dad return as caddie for the rest of the year.
Nicholas is a big boy, he can get his own caddie, he doesn't need Dad.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #2

Not LETTING her hit driver? I thought the ultimate determination was the player's. he may advise against hitting driver, but I seriously doubt he could prevent it if that's what she wanted to do.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #3

SHE, NOT GREG, already said that the shortness of the course has taken the driver out of her hand.
THE FINAL DECISION OF THE CLUB USED BELONGS TO THE GOLFER....AND NOBODY ELSE....REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE CADDY SAYS, OR SUGGESTS.

Viva Annika
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #4

Gxer
Driving distance is only a one part of many in the equation to win....look at short bunter Ai who is tied for the lead.

It's only one event.

But if it was my choice, Greg Sheridan would be on my bag vs. Johnston....obviously there are many other caddy choices too.

IMO...being a professional caddy is not rocket science...you clean clubs, fix divots, rake bunkers and give yardages and read greens if requested.

Yes, relationship and chemistry count too.

It's the pro that pulls the trigger and executes the shot.

Johnston caddied for 4 pros in a 4-5 yr window...MW fired him after 3 months....so is he continually chasing a higher paying bag...or fired from each pro?

He left Juli after 12 yrs to MW who would only play 6-8 events/yr.

MW got DQ'd over her bad drop in her pro debut...yes, the drop was only inches closer to the hole...but Greg as an experienced caddy, should have guarded against this along with MW....especially with a 16 yr old employer.

So you make your own conclusions about Johnston.

IMO....it will be good to cut the umbilical cord from Dad....she'll learn more and learn to truly be a boss and employer.

Yes, she is very young...but IMO ...demonstrates the maturity to play and win at the highest level.

Remember, this girl qualified as a 12 yr old to play a USWO against LPGA pros and collegiate AM's.

How many on this board had a 4.4 handicap @ 12?....I would bet none.

This is the max handicap to enter a qualifying section.
Mr3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
Gxer

How many on this board had a 4.4 handicap @ 12?....I would bet none.
I think it would be a safe bet that few or none have EVER had a 4.4 index, let alone at age 12.
LoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #6

Originally Posted by LoJo View Post
I think it would be a safe bet that few or none have EVER had a 4.4 index, let alone at age 12.
I got close....got my handicap to 4.8 two yrs ago.

I've played for 40+ yrs....in the last 30 yrs my handicap has been in the 5-7 range....technology has allowed us more forgiveness and distance.....I can hit the ball as far if not further now vs. when I was much stronger in my 20's.

Too bad technology has never helped my putting.....I was a lousy putter and still a lousy putter.
My gamer is my Dad's 1970 Ping Anser...but when it's behaved poorly...my back out comes out of solitary confinement for a few rds.

As a young teen I'd say my handicap was about 13-14...would have loved to be a PGA pro...but also knew I had be be scratch at that age to have any chance to think about a pro career.

Keeping on the handicap theme.

On others golf DB's you get these joker guys who laugh and don't believe the LPGA pros play to a + handicap level and could be beat be a really good male HS kid...LMAO.

Many of the LPGA pros were the captain of the boy's HS teams.

I don't believe any or few LPGA gals keep a handicap now that they are pros.

But it's simple...of the top pros...generally speaking....only their even and sub par rds would figure into their handicaps and over par rds would never count.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gxer View Post
I know it's really too early to decide but indications are not good for this team.
Lexi's driving distance is way short of what is expected, especially since other players are where they normally would be distance wise.

So, the question is, is Greg to blame for the loss of distance (not letting Lexi hit her driver very often) or is Lexi's swing screwed up. We know she tends to be erratic at times, so maybe this is one of those times.

Next week she has to be playing better than this, if not, I say the Greg experiment should end and Dad return as caddie for the rest of the year.
Nicholas is a big boy, he can get his own caddie, he doesn't need Dad.
Lexi didn't do any better earlier in 2012 when her dad was caddying for her. Despite two pro wins last year, she is still a very inconsistent player with more bad rounds than good.

Counting this week, she still only has three top-10s on the LPGA out of a total of 23 starts. In 2012 she has only three rounds out of 12 below par.

Yes, she's young and talented and should get better. How much better is anyone's guess.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Lexi didn't do any better earlier in 2012 when her dad was caddying for her. Despite two pro wins last year, she is still a very inconsistent player with more bad rounds than good.

Counting this week, she still only has three top-10s on the LPGA out of a total of 23 starts. In 2012 she has only three rounds out of 12 below par.

Yes, she's young and talented and should get better. How much better is anyone's guess.
OK...I'm a hypocrite...I said I refraining from replying to your posts.

But after reading the above....Lexi this, Lexi that....give the girl some slack.

If Gxer wants to think/dream about Lexi's greatness...so be it.

But no....you've got to prove your point (as you always do with other posts) about facts about Lexi's inconsistencies and only three top 10 finishes in 2012, etc.

I wish I could play like Lexi.

Her USWO qualification @ 12 was an amazing feat that sits on it's own ...if she never accomplished anything else.

What kinda game do you have? So we may discuss your inconsistencies.

If I was to guess....I'd say you have no game...if you even play golf....for one to judge Lexi's game?????

Here......I'll save you some time on your predicted reply.

"We are talking about Lexi's game not mine."

Have a great day!!! ....LMAO

PS Jessica Korda is great.....start spewing your stats on her in your rebuttal.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

You're right 3putt.... Stats and facts have no place in a serious discussion of sports and athletes. And God forbid let's not make any judgments on the athletes' games unless we can play as well as them.

And also, no one is telling gxer not to dream. He's a grown man, he can dream whatever he wants.

Last edited by Blue; 03-18-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
Donating Member

Originally Posted by Mr3putt View Post
I got close....got my handicap to 4.8 two yrs ago.

I've played for 40+ yrs....in the last 30 yrs my handicap has been in the 5-7 range....technology has allowed us more forgiveness and distance.....I can hit the ball as far if not further now vs. when I was much stronger in my 20's.

Too bad technology has never helped my putting.....I was a lousy putter and still a lousy putter.
My gamer is my Dad's 1970 Ping Anser...but when it's behaved poorly...my back out comes out of solitary confinement for a few rds.

As a young teen I'd say my handicap was about 13-14...would have loved to be a PGA pro...but also knew I had be be scratch at that age to have any chance to think about a pro career.

Keeping on the handicap theme.

On others golf DB's you get these joker guys who laugh and don't believe the LPGA pros play to a + handicap level and could be beat be a really good male HS kid...LMAO.

Many of the LPGA pros were the captain of the boy's HS teams.

I don't believe any or few LPGA gals keep a handicap now that they are pros.

But it's simple...of the top pros...generally speaking....only their even and sub par rds would figure into their handicaps and over par rds would never count.
A 4.8 index is a great accomplishment. I regularly play with someone in that range, so I can appreciate what it takes. In my 25 years of playing golf with him I have gone from a 22 index to 10.6 - so something must have rubbed off on me.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote