Go Back   LPGA Golf Forum > LPGA Player Discussions > LPGA Players > LPGA Rookies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #1

2011 Rookie: Jessica Korda

OK, I forgive her for choosing golf over tennis…lol…just kidding…I understand, training with tennis pro parents, they probably had her doing 400 interval training at 6 years old...ok, maybe not...good luck, Jessica!

---Bruce Lee

http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/
bangkokbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Donating Member

Might be best as a child of an athlete to pick a different sport. You get the name recognition with out the burden of being better (or worse) than your parent.
ctmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #3

I have a question, CG, since you seem to have behind the scenes interaction...what kind of program does the LPGA have, if they have one, for mentoring? Do they pair up some new players with older experienced players...the WTA does that...Kim Clijsters won an award for the job she did last year helping new players on tour...I don't bring up Kim as a tennis issue...but rather her stature...because I remember reading an article a few years back about a Korean or Korean-American player...I want to say it was Pearl Sinn...but don't quote me...who tried to help new Korean players acclimate and learn the rules and ins and outs of the LPGA and playing on tour...and some of the dads of the players really blew her off like she was nothing...that's why I brought up Kim, in tennis it would be ill-advised for a young player or their parents to blow off Kim Clijsters...which leads me to the second part of my question...if there is a mentoring program, are the leading players...the players who would have the most respect...the primary mentors or do they spread it around?

...I can see the problems with such programs...not everybody is going to want to help a player who could potentially take their position...ask Brett Favre about helping Aaron Rodgers or Joe Montana about helping Steve Young...and there could be personality clashes...Kim is such a sweetie and intimidated by nobody...so she's a good choice to be a mentor and the players she worked with voted her the end of year award for her work...but we know there are some LPGA players who are great players but might not make great mentors...plus time is a bigger issue in golf...rounds can take over four hours...plus sometimes your tee time is early in the morning...sometimes it's noon...so sleep time has to be adjusted...it might be harder for LPGA players to find the time to mentor new players...

...I ask because Petr Korda, just from what I've seen, seems to "get it"...so Jessica has the advantage of a parent who was a top tier pro athlete and is not dumping a world of pressure on his daughter to achieve everything right away...

...I don't want to pile on...particularly in a time of great sorrow...but I posted a video recently which featured a dad that...quite frankly, did not seem to "get it"...I wonder how many of those types of parents are on tour...

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 03-14-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
sag

Originally Posted by bangkokbobby View Post
I have a question, CG, since you seem to have behind the scenes interaction...what kind of program does the LPGA have, if they have one, for mentoring? Do they pair up some new players with older experienced players?
I don't know if they're still doing this, but here's a link from several years ago on the Big Sister program:

Sister Pact
sag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #5

Originally Posted by sag View Post
I don't know if they're still doing this, but here's a link from several years ago on the Big Sister program:

Sister Pact
That's great. I hope they still do that. I see they try, if they can, to match the players...Koreans with Korean veterans...Teresa Lu (Taiwan) with Amy Hung (Taiwan)...imagine how great it is to be Morgan Pressel and have Juli Inkster as your Big Sister...a Hall of Fame player, plus she has daughters and can relate to what Morgan was going thru at that age...

...of course, I hope the younger players who didn't get Hall of Famers or top players like Lorena Ochoa (Julieta Granada) were receptive to the advice...and I hope the parents...especially the dads...were as well...

...by the way, I looked it up...it wasn't Pearl Sinn...it was Minny Yeo...she was interviewed by HappyFan over at Seoul Sisters...here is the passage I refer to:

Magazine Minny Yeo Interview

SS: As one of the - don't take offense - as one of the older Korean players out here, do you feel a responsibility to help the younger ones when they come over?

MY: I do. I'm the kind of person who is very responsible. I've been through (something) just like them. When I see them, I can see (myself) when I was that age. I really want to try to help them out; if they ask me for advice or anything, I really help them out. But the problem is... they have really Korean ways. Especially the fathers. And I'm not saying anything bad, but this is the United States, not Korea. So I think they should do better out here. We've had so many problems already this time (she is talking about the Korean "cheating" scandal and the accusations that Korean players do not socialize well in pro-ams), and I noticed that (developing) from the beginning of the year, so I tried to set up a meeting and talk; let's get together. The players (parents) don't want to get together. The first meeting (we did have), two fathers stood up before (the meeting started, and said), 'Who are you (to call this meeting)? We don't care who you are!' They were going off on me.

---Bruce Lee

Last edited by bangkokbobby; 03-14-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by canadianglen View Post
I am aware of some of the more experienced ladies who do request rookies or lesser lights for the first two rounds to play with. Especially if they have the same alma matter. Or specifically in the case of new SeoulSisters. Juli, Karrie, Laura and Se Ri are typically the vets that rookies want to play with first.
This would be big news, because it's been explained here that pairings on the LPGA are done by the tournament are not up the players and also that there are two groups of pairings A groups and B groups. A groups are higher priority players and B groups are lower priority players and A group players get the prime tee times. This is how Sophie Gustafson explained it here a few years ago: Another pairings question

Did this change? When? Are players now allowed to request pairings? It sounds like rookies can even now request to play with Hall of Famers or top-ranked players. I haven't seen that reflected in the tournaments. Will it start with the Founders Cup?

Or maybe you're just saying that the rookies are wishing and hoping they could play with the stars in the first round, not really getting to do so.

Last edited by Blue; 03-14-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Forum Moderator

I assume the "other party" is me. Rusty asked me to tone down my debate style when engaging so I tried my best in the last reply. It's all I can do. I'm sorry you are still upset.

I'm still curious about if the pairings system has changed since Sophie Gustafson posted in 2006 so I'll post a question to Karin Sjodin's thread and see if she might know so you don't have to get involved anymore.

Again, I'm sorry you are still so upset. I hope you have a better day from here on.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Contest Statistician

I think that they still do the mentor thing. Here is a little blurb from a player on the Futures tour from last year dated 2010.

Hill plans to play her Tuesday practice round at the Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Creek Course with Tour alumna MEAGHAN FRANCELLA, also of New York.

“She’s my LPGA ‘Big Sister’ and she’s helped me out a lot since I turned pro,” said Hill, a 2010 tournament winner on the developmental tour.

As far as it seems to me the pairings still seemed to be following the same method of 2 groups. The top players get the best times in the morning and afternoon rounds and the second group get the less perfered times. In each half morning and afternoon, the usually make 3 big pairings in a row for TV time for rounds 1 & 2. It is extremly doubtfull that they take requests from players. That could present it self as an unfair influence.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I also think the big-sister thing is still in place and I believe players still get to sign up with friends, or former teammates, or whoever for practice rounds.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Contest Statistician

Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Yeah, I also think the big-sister thing is still in place and I believe players still get to sign up with friends, or former teammates, or whoever for practice rounds.
Oh Yeah practice rounds sure, not Tournament rounds.
xman5 is offline   Reply With Quote